Friday, April 1, 2011

Harry Potter Exhibition Last Stop: New York City

A very special exhibit has been making stops at museums across the country since 2009: the Harry Potter Exhibition. It features pieces used to make the films and is the single largest collection of Harry Potter "artifacts". This tour is making its last stop in the U.S. in New York City - it opens today for a sneak peek weekend and has its Grand Opening at Discovery Times Square on April 5th.

We visited the collection when it was at the Museum of Science in Boston last winter, and our tween's review of it is below:

"'Harry Potter, the Exhibition' was one of the most exciting exhibitions I have ever been to. My mom, my sister and I went to the Museum of Science in Boston to see 'The Harry Potter Exhibition'.  I thought it would be a room with a bunch of props in it - boy was I wrong. We paid for the audio tour so we got these things that looked like walkie talkie, and the person who was handing them out told me I could listen to the introduction while I waited. After listening to the introduction, I knew that what I had first thought about the exhibition was completely wrong. First, the tour guide led us to a room with the Sorting Hat in it, and my sister and I got sorted (I am in Gryffindor!). Then we were led into the Exhibition…….If I had to use one word to describe it, it would be WOW! They had everything from the movies that I had wanted to see. There was a section for each character, in the section they had their clothes, their wands, their most important props, and, in other words, they had everything!!! When they were done with the characters they had the most important rooms and everything in them, it was AWESOME!!! At the end, they had a gift shop which had so many things I had a hard time choosing what I wanted. It was so cool!!! I was about to write FIVE STARS FROM ME but that is not enough so SIX STARS FROM ME!!!"

As you can tell, our tweens LOVED this collection, and as a mom who is a bit of a Potter-head, I was also quite impressed by the staff working the exhibition. They are in character as Hogwarts students and were very into their roles. Little bits like that, how they "sorted" museum attendees, how they treated us in the gift shop - they all added up to make truly wonderful experience. I understand that the exhibition in New York contains new items from the last film, so we'll plan a road trip to see it again. We definitely got our money's worth out of the tickets - we stayed for five hours in the galleries in Boston and took in every detail (My favorites? The shop window exhibit from Honeydukes and the Great Hall set from the Yule Ball.).

The exhibit will run until September 5th, 2011 at the Discovery museum (located at 226 West 44th Street (between Broadway & 8th Ave)). Tickets are $19.50 for tweens, $25.00 for adults.

If you liked this post, you can subscribe to this blog by clicking here. You can also stay up-to-the-minute on updates on tween lifestyle by following us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MsTwixt and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MsTwixt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...